Saturday, May 21, 2011

Univ. of Texas Dental Branch Graduation 2011






















Oh wow! It was surreal! In a mad dash to get to U of H for the graduation, we forgot the hat and tassle at home and had to make a beeline back to the house. Nick got there in time, we got there in time, we got amazing seats in the balcony, I took enough pictures to rival the paparazzi, and all was good. Really good. Nick looked so distinguished in his robe, hat (he was nearly the only one without the cap), and doctoral hoodie. I have another picture to add to my collection of "US at graduations." This is the third, but the only one where I'm not wearing a matching robe.


No, I didn't earn the DDS, but I feel as much a part of the whole endeavor as Nick is. He rightfully earned the title, the prestige, and the responsibility set forth by that honor. But, somewhere in all of that, I earned an sizable, invisible chunk of it. It has not been an easy six years. That's no secret. I don't mean to whine, but it was definitely more of a challenge than I EVER imagined it would be. While my heart is bursting with pride and a sense of accomplishment, I can never forget the sacrifices made along the way. We've managed, and no doubt the experience has changed us as individuals, as a couple, and as a family.



We'll only know the benefits of our investment as we continue into this world of dentistry. With graduation marking a certain end to the chapter of dental school, it is a certain beginning of the chapter in professional dentistry. WHICH MEANS a move (that's such a little word that involves SO many things), a gazillion boxes, new doctors, new paint colors, trusting a moving company, new patio doors, the new world of homeschooling, transferring EVERYTHING, emotional adjustments (the BIGGEST change of all), and many things that swirl around in my head. None of that even involves the dentistry part, I just realized!


We're ecstatic about Nick's new practice. The office is so cozy and you can instantly tell that the dentist and staff have put a lot of love into its creation. I cannot wait to see how Nick puts his own spin on the place and interjects his personality and skills into it. I know Nick is deeply honored to continue this dentist's life's work.


No comments: