Monday, March 16, 2009

Painting the Barn

My daddy's old Sunday school teacher related barns to a woman's make up regimen. What a metaphor. If the barn didn't need painting, don't paint the barn. If the barn needed painting, paint the barn. I get up early enough as it is. Make up has not been a top priority ever in my life. Right now I have the bug, though. I was on this silly little website last night (Spring Break REALLY frees up some time) and browsed the color selections. Ohhh, it is tempting.
I live with too many men.
Tonight at dinner I proposed to Nick my plan to buy some make up tomorrow. Nathan got a little nervous. Make up is a girlie topic and we don't usually talk about girlie things. I could tell he was interested in the subject though. This was a new, uncharted topic of dinner conversation. He had an innocently quizzical (sp?) look on his face. I talked about my fresh education on the latest trends in cosmetics: foundation shimmers, lip goopey things, pencils for this, concealers for that. Nathan was dumbfounded about all of these products.
Why would one use a pencil on one's eyes? Aren't they for writing? I went on and on with my superficial, crash course lesson in cosmetics (more of a rant I guess), and Nathan's little brain squirrels were just a runnin'. This is an area of knowledge that he knew absolutely nothing about. He was puzzled. I knew I wasn't making any headway with the men in my life when Nathan asked so curiously if there was such a thing as EAR SHIMMER. What? This precious little thing was really trying to be engaged in this conversation with me. All his dear daddy could see were little dollar signs floating around in a haze of pixie dust shimmer powder. Bless his little heart. Perhaps this is why I've never really made the investment in products, time, or effort. The crowd that I run with would never even know the difference. HA! I tried to tell Nathan the reference story to the barn and I think I really threw him for a loop. Poor kid. Why would somebody put make up on a barn? Eyes squinting, hand on forehead.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Check out www.eyeslipsface.com. All of the cosmetics are VERY reasonable ($1.00 - $5.00). If you sign up for their e-mail newsletter they have shipping and buy one get one free deals. Maybe that will help Nick breathe a little easier. If you go to the mall and get a "makeover" they can show you techniques and colors and then you can buy the less expensive stuff online. If you go to Clinique they don't make you buy something to get the makeover. Good Luck!