Sunday, March 1, 2009

Just a Couple of Things

1. If we had another baby, we'd need a new dinner table. We've not been ambling on this topic of having another child since Nick made "the deal." So far, I've stuck with my end of the bargain (although I still teeter over whether or not we should even have a third). If I stopped the, not really nagging, but more like incessant hints and references to having another baby, he would entertain the idea of planning for one in the last year of his schooling. I thought that was perfectly fair since such a life-altering decision should not be made during weeks and weeks of multiple exams and practicals. But, as I was piddling around the kitchen today, it occured to me that the current kitchen table would NOT be conducive to five. It would have to be round, I determined, such that no one would be squashed and no one would be too far removed from the rest. Family mealtime feng shui. The table leaves are just obnoxious so that wouldn't be an acceptable alternative. Good thing there's no bun in the oven (nor the grains even ground).

2. I'm going to Baltimore!!! Where? Why the enthusiasm? I realized that I hadn't logged this piece of TOTALLY cool news into this blog. One night, not too long ago, I was in the middle of my evening routine of bathing a certain two-and-a-HALF-year-old (now, he officially owns the HALF), and Nick hollers from the same place I sit now, "YOU WON THE TRIP!" What? Me? I had just given up on it. Back in January, just before school resumed, I came across an e-mail from the Alliance of the ADA: the spouses' group that promotes dental health teachings, etc. I became a member a few months ago. Their annual conference was to be held at the end of March in Baltimore, and the e-mail was announcing the grants available to first-time attendees. The due date for postmarking was like the next day so I flittered about getting it ready. What fun it could be, and what a perfect chance for me to truly see what the Alliance is all about! I made a special stop by the post office the next morning to make sure that it would be validated before the deadline. I knew as I stuck it down the shoot (in the rain) that my chances were probably slim, there were probably already at least several applicants, and on some paper it said that it could come down to a first come, first granted basis. Still, I sent it on its way and waited. I waited more, and my enthusiasm was fizzling a bit. Oh well, next year I would be more on top of things and I would have it sent earlier. It was just as well. I even walked down the school hallway a few days before the official e-mail, mentally throwing in the towel and giving up on hearing anything.
And I won. I had flights and hotel booked before the night was over. My mom is going to accompany me, participate in a few of the events, but plans to sightsee or just veg out on the other days. I'm just so excited.

No comments: