Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cockrell Butterfly trip with Michael

One of my favorite places in Houston is the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Nick wanted to take Nathan to the Planetarium, and I knew Michael would be more interested in watching plants grow than being in there...sooo, I took him down the hall to see the butterflies.
Nancy Grieg is one of those people who I'd like to befriend. I met her just a couple of times and I instantly liked her! She is head curator and entomologist at the Cockrell Butterfly Center. Back when the neighborhood around West 11th Street Park was trying to SAVE the park, she guided my students through the park on a walking tour. It's an easy walk to this park...so why do we not do that more often? Darn testing. She was so kind and kid-friendly, and really made the nature walk come alive for all of those urban kiddos--and ME! What a neat lady! Anyway, she was at the Cockrell Center yesterday. Except yesterday, she was patrolling the center carrying around a giant orange IGUANA! How cool! Michael stepped right up for his turn to see the iguana AND pet it! He had no reservations, no skiddishness, no fear. I am proud of that quality in Michael. The butterflies, by the way, were SUPER COOL too. I was so jealous of this woman sitting in the butterfly center just sketching little butterfly scenes in her sketch book. I'm going to put that on my bucket list...Sketch butterflies at the butterfly center instead of chasing after a preschooler! HA!

No comments: