Saturday, February 7, 2009

Shoo Flu!

Mid-day on Thursday, I got a call from Nathan's school nurse who informed me that he had a low grade fever, but needed to go home. She seems very, very nice. I've talked via phone with her just a few times, and she seems like she is just a genuinely kind and thoughtful person. Good vibes: I'm glad she's at the helm of the "if my kid is sick or hurt" ship. I half way dismissed his fever as a whim, perhaps his sinuses were acting up. We got home, he rested, but we already planned for him to stay at Barbara's house the next day instead of going to school. Michael would spend the day with my mom to somewhat quarantine his immune system. Nathan's fever got higher and higher throughout the next day, and he became more and more lethargic. His fever hovered around 102, 103. Yikes. This isn't my kid, is it? We've been so very fortunate that the boys maintain excellent health. I left school early, picked Nathan up, and met Nick at the pediatrician. They were so kind to get us an appointment in one hour (and we were seen even before that). I do not have to rely on my pediatricians often at all. We keep up with well check visits, but that's about it. It is so comforting to know that they're vigilant when a time of need does come. I would've hated to see the actual germ vapor floating around in that place, though. Toxic kiddo sputum vapor. Gross!
He indeed had Influenza A, and a temp of 103.1. My poor sweet boy. He complained not even once. His eyes were droopy and glassy, his face was flushed, and looked to be in a fog. Since we got home from the doctor, he has made steady improvement. Just a little at first, but this afternoon we are seeing signs of the antiviral medicines significantly working. He dislikes the medicines, but once again, he doesn't complain. Knowing that we'd do anything in the world to make him feel better, we still scoffed at the $85 price tag for one of the medicines. Then we had to chuckle because insurance had knocked that down from over $120! Priceless becomes the Tamiflu when it brings back even the slightest energy to my son, though. He is not groggy and lifeless. When we told him that kite-flying wasn't really an OK activity for today, he asked to do his homework sheet from school! What a determined little learner!
What I've been reminded of in this experience (once again) is how much I depend upon our parents. Michael spent yesterday with my parents on my mom's off-work day, he spent the night at Barbara and Odis's (after she had spent quite some time decontaminating the Nathan-areas of her house), and he's back at my parents' house for today and tonight. Barbara cared for a sick Nathan yesterday, she picked both boys up early the day before when all of this began. They don't complain, they change around or alter their schedules, they pick up extra food, they just don't bat an eye when it comes to helping out. Nothing. Nothing that I could say or do would ever express the amount of gratitude I have for them all. So, from the trenches of this health catastrophe, I become humble. I am fortunate that someone developed drugs to make people feel just a little bit better when riding the course of the flu. I am fortunate that I am surrounded by health care professionals who jump to my assistance. I am fortunate that my workplace is sensitive and supportive of me being a mom and wife first and an educator second. I am fortunate that people are passionately devoted to my children. It is quite humbling.

No comments: