Sunday, November 23, 2008

Coming Back Down to Earth

Oh, my poor boys. I think an outsider could see many stellar college football programs in the state of Texas. Inside, however, we see heated rivalries with some teams soaring to greatness, some plummeting, and some ebbing and flowing from week to week. I like the Texas Tech program; not solely because I am a product of the school, but I like its character. Last night's game was hard to watch. I think every Texas Tech fan felt the team's momentum collapse. Perhaps it is fate. To keep a team genuinely good (in sports execution and sound character), perhaps it was meant to be that we were brought down a few notches. We appreciate our team. We support the programs. We hang a flag outside our classroom. But if we were to grow pompous of ourselves, we'd lose the spirit that is imbedded in our being. We'd look just like other cocky teams who taunt others with their stature. Losing hurts. Ohhh, I know we fans felt the loss. Our hearts burned for how the game's fate played out in front of us. OU played a strong (but sometimes dirty, dirty) game. The players were explosive. It keeps us humble. Congratulations to the team, the coaches, and all of the behind-the-seen participants. It has been a spectacular season. I just hope we don't project our loss too intensely upon Baylor next weekend. Looking at the polls and standings, I've become an overnight OSU fan. Go Cowboys! (What a difference a couple of weeks will make!) I send lots of positive karma to the Texas Tech organization. We're all sharing the sadness, but at the same time, we're all sharing the sweet success of a victorious season.

No comments: