Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Long Live the Queen...Where'd She Go?


Due to technical difficulties (Are there really technical difficulties, or is that the constant and we are just overjoyed when things actually work when they're supposed to?), my class and I were forced to watch the inauguration on a teeny tiny projector screen with super faint volume. Am I glad I didn't have to watch it from afar in frigid temperatures?--yes. I guess I shouldn't complain. We got about every fifth word of the whole shabang.

The pomp and circumstance fizzled. We waited around to see the parade (which I thought would be before the luncheon, but I misread the schedule). That wasn't happening any time soon, and we were preparing for our own lunch.

In the trudge back to the desks, one of my students blurts out with the most innocent of intentions, "Where's the Queen? Where'd the Queen go in all of this?"

Being a lover of history, being an educator, being a mother, and being an advocate of kids knowing basic knowledge and facts I wanted to crawl into a hole. Some of my disgust mixed with dumbfounded sarcasm and I answered, "Where IS the Queen? Where'd she go? Where WAS she throughout this ceremony?

Eyebrows wrinkled, lips pursed and went lopsided. Silence. Thinking. Just as the eyebrows were starting to twitch to the other side, someone else hesitantly spoke up, "I----I don't think we HAVE a Queen, do we Mrs. Cobb?"


No comments: