Sunday, October 12, 2008

Homecoming Date


My, how times have changed. I guess it was 13 years ago that Nick and I went to the senior prom together. We tried to remember where we went before the football game those twelve years ago as we sat at our kitchen table for our homecoming dinner date. I picked the boys up on Friday and saw the homecoming banner on the high school fence as I drove by. The girls with flowing mums also gave away the secret. It blasted me to the past. I know it was a big deal. I made Nick's boy-mum, and the one he gave me had been just perfect. It's a toss up to whether or not I still have it. In all the moves, I would imagine that it went by the wayside, but there ARE a couple of nostalgic boxes up in the attic.
Last night, while Nick went to pick up the take-out, I fed the boys. Thus, we could enjoy a dinner for two together. Romantic. I should have lit a candle for ambiance, but I don't really like candles so I don't have any real ones. I could have put one of the battery flicker candles out. HA! Our dinner entertainment included one son leaping through the house in spiderman pajamas, firing peew-peew-laser-spider-web beams. The other son was tired and was lulling himself (and us) with the ABC song on repeat mode. We decided he was too tired for a encore when he drunkenly bumped into a wall for no apparent reason besides exhaustion. And it is a wonder why I can't remember what we did for homecoming? My mind is in such mommy-mode. I just laughed about how times have changed. We wouldn't change anything for the world because living this journey and coming home each night together has so much more meaning than a high school homecoming.

No comments: